|Liz Graham-Yooll via Art for Charlie|
|Kathy Tieman via Art for Charlie|
The Foundation supports pediatric hospice and also helps families in need by providing funds for a memorial, a family retreat, or something that simply helps preserve the child's memory. It was founded by the family of Charlie Waller, a sweet little boy from my community who died last year. I only know his family in passing but, of course, was moved by their story.
|Connie Miller via Art for Charlie|
The Foundation raises money through art "because it is a beautiful way to fight this darkness." And if I can help in some teeny way, I want to do so. Please spread #CouragetobeKind. Complete an act of kindness, tag 3-5 friends on social media, and spread the love.
|Wendy McWhorter via Art for Charlie|
Here are a few ideas of things you can do that require just a little #CouragetobeKind:
1. Buy a coffee for a stranger. This is the one I chose last year to remember Charlie.
2. Leave a pound of good coffee in a friend's mailbox. Or a bottle of wine, six-pack of craft beer, bouquet of flowers, newest bestseller... You get the idea!
3. Write a thank you card to your favorite teacher.
4. Bypass the good parking spot for one farther away.
5. Hold the door for someone especially a parent with (or without!) a stroller.
6. Bring donuts to the office. If you don't work in an office, take some to your doctor, hairdresser, school, or church's parish office.
7. Buy a pair of gloves and a hat for someone who could use them. Your mailman, a needy child (ask in the office of your local school), a homeless person on the street.
8. Take a hot meal to a homeless person. My kids and I took McDonalds to a homeless veteran holding a sign on the side of the road once. Most moving thing I have ever done.
9. Offer to rake the leaves of an elderly neighbor.
10. Before you head out to do your errands, call a friend. Ask if they need you to pick up anything from the grocery store, drop books off at the library or clothes at the drycleaners.
11. Bake cookies for someone who might be having a bad day. Because there's not much in this world that a fresh chocolate chip cookie can't fix!
If you are reading this, consider yourself tagged! Good luck with your #CouragetobeKind! All of the art pictured here can be found at the Art for Charlie auction this Thursday, November 13, in East Lansing. Tickets are $35 and can be purchased online here.
Through kindness we can tell the story of who we are with our whole heart. Watch here.