My project was an entryway revamp. I was going for a midcentury modern glam vibe around our front door outside and in our foyer and small powder room indoors.
I wanted to, but didn't, remove the storm door. Eventually I can paint it or we will replace it with something better looking. For now, though, I added a 3M hook to the glass so we can hang a wreath on the outside of the door. I think this is a good-enough work-around.
One of the absolute best things about the One Room Challenge is that the official participants are so engaged with the linking participants. Christine Dovey suggested the very idea I was thinking of in week three. It was as if angels sang! She, of Bijou and Boheme loveliness, proposed adding molding to the front door to add some architectural interest. Ba-bam!! I have a plan for that!
But for the time being, I've purchased this starburst knocker. It was as close as I could get to the star doorknob plates from my inspiration board. The instructions were super confusing to me and I'm still relatively nervous around power tools so it's not actually on the door yet. It feels very heavy and looks solidly made, though.
The paint on the urn got refreshed--it's amazing what a little spray paint can do!--and I look like I got cut in bar fight from trying to re-pot that effing fern. I don't love how I have mounted the address plaque, but it's up on the wall. Until we know for sure it's not going to fall down, I still have the teeny little numbers above the door too. C'est la vie. My design plans for my own house are sequential. So first is plan a. Then, down the road, will be plan b.
Speaking of plan b... I started to paint the stencil on the wall in our powder room. The handmade stencil I cut from a cereal box. Unsurprisingly, it didn't work that well. It was a little floppy and the lines didn't stay true enough. Also, I really wanted the look of a dark wall with some white accents, which would be the opposite of what I was doing. The paint color from the sample I bought at Target (did you know they sell paint now?!) also was not quite as much of a peacock blue as I dreamed. Since I knew I would have to re-paint anyway, I decided #YOLO. And I created this large feature block. I'm sure I've seen it as a solution elsewhere.
The room is also less dark than if I had painted the whole wall, which is great since it is such a teeny space. Although as you can see, there is one window and this is the fabric sample-turned-curtain on it. Easy peasy!
The budget was small to begin with, and then my husband told me not to spend any more money after week one so it necessarily got even smaller. I used some gift cards to buy a few things and bought other things while grocery shopping so it wouldn't count. Necessity is the mother of invention, right? Mostly this time around, the One Room Challenge was meant to test my DIY talents and that didn't require much money. Not too much money, not too much work. But definitely a different feel to the space now. Hopefully that's encouraging news to some reader out there.
I moved the garden stool from last spring's #ORC out to the foyer so we would have somewhere to sit when taking boots on and off this winter.
The colors in this photo inspired the moody vibe I was going for in the space.
With a little punch of color from this piece.
And my little blue & white collection contrasts with the green velvet wall-coverings.
And in my title, I mentioned this was a two-fer. Our kitchen renovation is now closer to being completed too! (minus a drawer and a lot of styling!) We opted to keep the cabinets that we had, moving a few around in order to accommodate new appliances including a dishwasher.
I'm off now to see everyone else's rooms! Thanks to Linda @ Calling it Home for dreaming this idea up in the first place and inviting others to link-up last year. Long live the #ORC!!